The fun never ends around here

Monday, September 9, 2013

Last night, as my husband, sister and I were enjoying some incredibly awesome paleo apple crisp made with freshly picked Cortland apples (I'll share that recipe later), we heard a disturbing sound outside.  My sister's dog started barking loudly.  My dog soon started barking as well.  They were out for their nightly backyard jaunt, which includes a bathroom break and is normally quite uneventful.

My sister went outside on the deck to see what the commotion was.  My heart sank when we heard her gasp.  Both dogs had been sprayed by a skunk that was hiding under the deck.  They were both in distress trying to shake the stinging oil.


Well hello there, idiot dogs!

The three of us froze.  We had no idea what to do.  It was close to 10 PM and no pet stores or veterinary offices were open.  I called the vet's answering service and they referred me to an all night clinic.  The girl who took my call was incredibly nice and helpful and mentioned that her dog had been sprayed at least 3 times.  She told me to first sprinkle both dogs with baking soda and let it sit for at least 10 minutes before brushing them.  She said that this helps to neutralize the odor and helps the oily substance from being absorbed.  Next she told me to mix up hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap and wash the dogs with that several times.  She mentioned that if either god started vomiting that we should bring them in to be evaluated.  I profusely thanked her, hung up the phone, and shook my head at my sister and husband.  We had a long night ahead of us.

My husband went outside with a flashlight and corralled both dogs onto the deck.  He proceeded to sprinkle them both with the 1/2 box of baking soda that we had left.  Both dogs were so confused at why we could not let them in the house.  The deck was a mess with baking soda everywhere.  The smell that wafted into the house with the breeze was repulsive.  There was no way that we were going to be able to wash them right away.  It was chilly outside and we didn't have enough peroxide or baking soda to make the mixture.  I also had to go and take care of the baby, who conveniently started crying right when the skunk situation went down (for once, I was actually happy to hear him crying at 10 PM).

My sister went out after 30 minutes and brushed both dogs.  My husband cleared out the small shed at the back of the house and put the dogs in there for the night.  Poor things.

This morning I had to go to work.  I missed several days last week due to food poisoning and was afraid to miss any more for fear of getting fired.  My husband drew the short straw and had to stay home with the stinkies.  He decided that he is going to see if any grooming joint will take them.  It is just too messy to try to do it on our own.  TBD whether he has any luck or not.  Oh my gosh, I hope he does.

Now to completely change the subject to the paleo apple crisp...  We got this recipe off of another blog.  It was awesome!  Enjoy!

http://www.delightedmomma.com/2013/07/paleo-apple-crisp.html

share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
3 Comments »

3 Responses to “The fun never ends around here”

  1. When I worked at Petsmart in the grooming department during college we had a skunk spray option and I got a few. My parent's dogs have gotten sprayed too, it isn't fun I feel your pain! That apple crisp looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor puppies! We've been lucky that we've never had to deal with that. (I just jinxed us, didn't I?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is horrible....poor dogs, poor you, and even sadder for your hubs dealing with it today! Yuk!

    ReplyDelete