What are the odds?

Monday, April 30, 2012

I talked with the geneticist today and as expected, she told me that there was no need for my husband and I to have genetic counseling.  She said the the odds of this happening again are extremely low, which she said was good news.  I told her about my first miscarriage and how I thought it was also a chromosomal problem.  She told me that I would be surprised how many recurrent chromosomal related pregnancy losses that she sees.  I asked her if she knew of any possible causes and she said this...at my age, bad luck.  She said sometimes the proverbial lightening strikes once, twice, even three times.  Wow, that really didn't make me feel better.

After talking to her I got thinking about getting stuck by lightening once or twice.  My mind then wandered to some other statistics and odds.

The odds that you'll get hit by lightening once are 1 in 576,000.
The odds that you'll get hit by lightening twice are 1 in 9,000,000.
The odds of becoming a pro athlete are 1 in 22,000.
The odds of winning the record lottery jackpot are 1 in 176,000,000.
The odds of getting hit by a bus and dying are 1 in 3,431.

Now on to some pregnancy related odds (Don't quote me on these because I did a lot of the math myself, but I did make it to AP Calculus)...

The odds of getting pregnant 1 out of 4 chance each month.
The odds of having twins are 3 out of 100 pregnancies (naturally).
The offs of having triplets are 1 out of 8,100 pregnancies (naturally).
The odds of having a miscarriage are 3 out of 20 pregnancies (not taking into account previous losses).
The odds of having 3 miscarriages in a row is 1 out of 200 pregnancies.
The odds of having RPL due to de novo (not parent related) chromosomal abnormalities are 1 out of 400 people who have repeatedly lost pregnancies.

I am not a math whiz, but those odds seems pretty tiny to me.  Maybe we should start playing the lottery?

share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply