CoenzymeQ10

Sunday, April 29, 2012

I can remember a few months back, looking on BBC or the Bump and reading about women taking all sorts of weird vitamins and supplements to try to become pregnant.  I used to really wonder how that could help.  Recently I read, Making Babies: A Proven 3-Month Program For Maximum Fertility, by Sami S. David and Jill Blakeway.  They put heavy stock into vitamins and supplements for their patients and have proven successful in treating women with fertility and miscarriage issues.

One particular supplement that intrigued me was CoenzymeQ.  Apparently CoQ10, as it is also called, is an antioxidant that is used by all cells in the body to produce energy.  It has been shown to improve blood-flow and help prevent heart disease.  Unfortunately it isn't in great supply in the food that we normally consume, so getting it into our bodies has to come from a supplement.

In women, CoQ10 has been shown to increase blood-flow to the pelvic area.  There has also been research done to show that it may help prevent miscarriage by increasing egg quality.  In men, CoQ10 has been proven to increase sperm count and motility.

I decided that after reading this in the book, Making Babies, and reading about it all over the Internet on various fertility forums that I too am adding it to my daily vitamin/supplement cocktail.  The book suggests to take a daily dosage of between 30-100mg a day.  I have read various women write about taking upwards of 600mg a day.  The bottle that I purchased from the grocery store recommends 100mg, twice daily (for heart health).  I think I am going to stick with the book's recommendation for now and take 100mg a day, since I know that guy is a legitimate doctor and has had much success with getting women to become pregnant and stay pregnant.

I am not sure that egg quality is my problem as I really have no idea what my problem is, but I figure that it can't hurt.  On a side note, I would recommend that any women looking to get pregnant, having trouble getting pregnant, or having trouble staying pregnant read this book.  It has provided me with a great wealth of info.  Happy reading!

All information regarding CoQ10 came from Making Babies: A Proven 3-Month Program For Maximum Fertility, by Sami S. David and Jill Blakeway.


share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply